WELCOME TO DOCLANDS
Congratulations! We’re thrilled to screen your film at the inaugural DocLands Documentary Film Festival!
On this page, you will find information designed to help you navigate the Festival process.
Dan Zastrow, Print Traffic/Media Manager — email@example.com
GUEST SERVICES / TRANSPORTATION
Dave Feiferis, Guest Services Manager — firstname.lastname@example.org
For more detailed marketing info, visit doclands.com/marketing
Acceptable formats for exhibition are 35mm and DCP. The filmmaker is responsible for any format transfers, although we are happy to provide various resources and technical support to assist all Festival participants create Festival-quality prints. Please inquire if you’d like to take advantage of these services.
- Filmmakers are responsible for providing an exhibition quality print. You must error-check your print for sound and image quality before shipping. Please make sure all technical information is correct on the confirmation form and that the print sent for exhibition matches the format listed. We schedule our program based on this information and exhibition formats have a direct impact on screening venues.
- Feature-length entries receiving a theatrical release, TV broadcast, DVD release or screening at other San Francisco Bay Area festivals and venues prior to OR within one month following DocLand’s dates may not be eligible for participation in the Festival (exceptions are made under special circumstances). Please contact our office if you agree to any other screenings in the Bay Area before or directly following DocLands.
- DocLands does not pay rental / screening fees. Rather, our resources are invested in the presentation and marketing of your work. Films may subsequently be considered for a theatrical run at our year-round venue, the Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center.
- Films may be scheduled to screen multiple times.
- Once a film has been confirmed, it may not be withdrawn.
GUIDELINES FOR COMPLETING THE CONFIRMATION FORM
- The information and materials we have requested are essential as they will be used in our schedule and website as well as for promotion and publicity. Please fill out the ENTIRE online confirmation form and confirm that all information is accurate.
- Please indicate any restrictions you may have close to or during the Festival dates. If your film is scheduled at other festivals around the same time as DocLands, we’ll coordinate schedules and shipping.
- BOOKMARK THIS SITE… it will serve as your resource for all things DocLands: Print Traffic, Travel & Hospitality, Marketing, Festival FAQs, DocLands laurels and staff contacts, and other important information. Any updates will be posted here.
Thank you in advance for filling out the confirmation form completely and returning it within 48 hours. We’re excited to include your film in the Festival, and we look forward to celebrating your achievement at our inaugural event.
We know you want to effectively promote your film and play to packed houses – we’d love to help!
Providing your most complete press materials in a timely fashion helps us help you.
CLICK HERE to view the DocLands Marketing Guide
Please note that all marketing materials are due on March 29!
DocLands laurels may be downloaded HERE
PRINT TRAFFIC GUIDELINES
- All films must be on DCP or 35mm.
- All feature filmmakers are asked to provide a Blu-Ray backup copy in addition to their DCP. Please contact Joni Cooper (email@example.com) if this is a problem.
- All short filmmakers are asked to provide a Blu-Ray or ProRes or similar digital file backup copy in addition to their DCP. Please contact Joni Cooper (firstname.lastname@example.org) if this is a problem.
- Deadline for DCP delivery is April 21st, in the DocLands offices unless by alternate arrangement.
- We will pay for DCP return shipment only, unless by prior arrangement.
Simple DCP is the DocLands DCP partner.
Here is their rate sheet (our partnership provides 20% off to any DocLands filmmaker): http://simpledcp.com/home/rates/
Working with Simple DCP will also automatically integrate your exhibition copy into our print traffic pipeline.
Feel free to email them with any questions: email@example.com.
Please mail your DCP to:
DocLands Film Festival
California Film Institute
1001 Lootens Place, Suite 220
San Rafael, CA 94901
Our Print Traffic Manager is Dan Zastrow. Please direct any shipping and formatting questions to him: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you don’t think you can provide or afford a DCP copy of your film, please contact Joni Cooper immediately: email@example.com
Thanks so much for your cooperation.
TICKETS AND BADGES
How many badges will I receive?
We provide up to two (2) badges per film upon request. Guest Services will ask for your badge information within their Festival Overview email.
What privileges does my badge allow?
- One day before any Festival screening, each guest badge allows for ONE (1) ticket per regularly-priced show from a Festival box office (per availability). A hard ticket is required for entry to all screenings.
- Admittance to the Filmmaker Lunch (date, time, location TBA)
- Additional filmmaker events (details forthcoming)
How do I receive my Festival credentials?
If you’re staying at a Festival sponsored hotel, your credentials, complimentary tickets, and a hard copy of your Festival itinerary will be waiting for you at the front desk of the hotel. You will receive an electronic copy of your itinerary 3 days prior to your arrival.
If you’re a local filmmaker, or are staying at a non-sponsored hotel, your Festival credentials can be picked up May 10-14 at:
DocLands Guest Services
Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center
1118 Fourth St, San Rafael, CA 94901
IMPORTANT: If you don’t anticipate using ALL of your comps for one (or more) shows, please inform your Guest Services rep so we can sell them. This helps us fill all seats at your screenings! If you plan to watch your film, your seat will be taken from those comps.
You may purchase additional tickets per availability at the discounted filmmaker rate of $12.50 each. Please contact Dave Feiferis for this: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets go on sale April 19th, so we recommend buying them in advance.
TRANSPORTATION AND ACCOMMODATIONS
What type of travel / lodging benefits are provided?
In general, travel assistance and accommodations are offered as available to select feature-length filmmakers. Shorts filmmakers are not guaranteed travel or housing assistance, though may be waitlisted for complimentary housing after feature filmmakers’ needs have been met.
What are my ground transportation options?
DocLands occupies two theater venues in beautiful Marin County, 15 minutes to San Francisco, 20 minutes from Berkeley, and 35 minutes to Napa Valley. In order to enjoy everything this area has to offer, we strongly recommend renting a vehicle or using Uber during your stay.
If you prefer not to rent a vehicle, we suggest the following:
To/from SFO: Use the Marin Airporter. Guest Services will inform you if they can provide shuttle fare assistance (in the form of a voucher). More information on these vouchers will be made available on the ‘How to Festival’ email you will receive from Guest Services. To/from the Oakland Airport we suggest using Marin Door to Door.
We provide rides from official Festival hotels to your first screenings and back. In-town transportation will be arranged with your Guest Services contact. Otherwise, we recommend using Uber or Lyft.
The DocLands Documentary Film Festival occupies two theater venues in beautiful Marin County — getting around and seeing our gorgeous scenery is part of the Festival experience!
CHRISTOPHER B. SMITH RAFAEL FILM CENTER
1118 Fourth St, San Rafael
25 Throckmorton Ave, Mill Valley
May 10 – 14: Open 90 min. before first show to 15 min. after start of last show.
Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center
1118 Fourth St., San Rafael
Mill Valley Chamber of Commerce
85 Throckmorton Ave, Mill Valley
- Official Festival Hangouts are: Sweetwater Music Hall & Cafe – 10 Corte Madera Ave., Mill Valley and The State Room – 1132 4th St., San Rafael
- Opening Night: Elks Lodge – 1312 Mission Ave., San Rafael
- Filmmaker Lunch: TBD in Mill Valley
- Closing Night: Green Chili Kitchen – 1335 4th St., San Rafael
What if I want to do a sound / image check before my screening?
Please schedule this by emailing your guest services rep. These happen at the beginning of the day only, before Festival operations start. We require at least 48 hours notice.
How early should I arrive at my screening?
Arrive 45 minutes prior to your screening, and check in with the venue manager who will direct you to the film programmer introducing your film.
Will I have reserved seats at my screening?
Yes, reserved seats will be available at the first screening of your film. The number of reserved seats matches the number of first screening comped tickets. Ask theater staff if you need assistance.
How are intros and Q&As conducted?
Typically programmers give a brief 5-minute introduction before the film which filmmakers are welcome to join, but this is optional. After the film, the programmer will introduce and invite you to the stage for a 15-20 minute Q&A. Let us know prior to the Festival if you have other cast / crew in attendance whom you would like to participate and we will do our best to accommodate that request.
I am a short filmmaker and my film is playing directly before a feature. How does this work?
Our programmers will have an extended introduction with you before your short screens. After the feature screens, the Q&A will be specifically with the feature filmmaker only. The two films will run back-to-back without a break.
CFI Education collaborates with local and international filmmakers to bring their films into Bay Area classrooms. Filmmakers typically show, discuss, and answer questions about their film, and about being a filmmaker. Whether they are from California, Maine, Finland or Mali, each filmmaker has a unique perspective that students love to hear. Our popular program opens the whole world to young people, through the art of film.
If you are interested in bringing your film to a Bay Area classroom, Please contact Melanie Nichols, CFI Education Coordinator: email@example.com