SMITH RAFAEL FILM CENTER
1118 FOURTH STREET | SAN RAFAEL
April 8: Noon for CFI Members (Online at doclands.com)
April 10: Noon for General Public (Online at doclands.com)
April 11 – May 4: Online at doclands.com
May 5 – 8: 60 min before first show until 15 min after start of last show and online at doclands.com
IN-THEATER PRICING | SMITH RAFAEL FILM CENTER
$16.50 General | $14 CFI Members | $15 Senior (65+)
$8 Students w/ ID, Youth (12 & under) and all Shorts Programs
INDIVIDUAL FILM STREAM
$8 General | $6 CFI Members
DOCLANDS DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL ONLINE PASS
A DOCLANDS ONLINE PASS gives you access to films & programs streaming May 5 – 11. Pass quantities are limited. Some films can only be streamed to passholders within the State of California.
ONLINE PASS – CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS ONLY
$119 General | $79 CFI Members
QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETING?
877.874.6833 | [email protected]
To guarantee admittance, ticket and pass holders must be in line 30 minutes prior to showtime. Doors typically open 30 minutes before showtime.
- LINE A is for badge holders with an ‘A’ printed on their badge & reserved seat ticket holders.
LINE B is for all other ticket holders.
- Please do not sit in a reserved seat unless it has been arranged for you.
- Seat saving is not permitted.
- Outside food and beverages are not permitted.
- Digital devices must be turned off prior to the program introduction.
- The use of cameras and other recording equipment is strictly prohibited at all screenings and programs.
SATURDAY 7 MAY • SPECIAL PARKING + WAYFARING
Please take note that The May Madness Rock & Rollin’ Car Show & Parade will take place in downtown San Rafael on Saturday 7 May – Fourth Street and side streets around the Rafael will be closed to vehicular traffic. Please plan extra time in traveling to the theater.
City of San Rafael parking structures will be open, you can see these locations on their website here.
Please review the California Film Institute’s Code of Conduct in advance of attending the Festival.
At the California Film Institute we appreciate, respect, and honor the vibrant diversity and viewpoints of our community of guests and staff. We hold steadfast a commitment to freedom of creative expression. We ask that everyone—artists, audiences, volunteers, press, industry, staff, board members, and beyond—maintain an environment that is welcoming to all by following our Code of Conduct.
Please ask on-site staff for assistance with early seating and/or assisted listening devices. If you require effective communication in the form of an ASL interpreter, please contact us at [email protected] at least 10 days prior to the screening you will be attending.
Festival venues are wheelchair accessible. Streaming titles are accompanied by English-language closed-captions, if open-captions are not already included with the program.
We welcome and encourage your feedback. For any accessibility-related questions and/or additional needs, please email [email protected].
COVID-19 HEALTH + SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
We are so pleased to welcome you back to the Movies! At the Festival:
- All attendees must show proof of full vaccination to attend in-person screenings and events. You are considered “fully vaccinated” two weeks after completing the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks after receiving a single dose of a one-dose vaccine (e.g. Johnson & Johnson/Janssen).
- To show proof, you must present a vaccination card, a photo of your card, or a digital vaccine record (e.g. myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov, CLEAR app, etc.) AND a matching photo ID.
- We are permitting submission of the printed or digital record of a negative PCR or antigen COVID-19 test as an accommodation for those individuals who are unable to take the vaccine, such as individuals who have medical conditions or are ineligible, like minors.
- Masks are recommended. Vaccinated attendees may choose to remove their masks while indoors. Our staff will continue to wear masks.
- Thorough cleaning standards for all high-traffic areas will be enforced. Hand sanitizer and disposable masks are also available to guests.
- COVID-19 safety protocols are subject to change based on current health conditions and government guidance.
Screenings will operate at 100% capacity. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, comments, or feedback at [email protected].
CONSENT TO BE PHOTOGRAPHED
California Film Institute and its representatives may photograph, film, and/or otherwise record attendees at all Festival activities. By attending, you consent to such photography, filming, and/or recording and to any use in any and all media throughout the universe in perpetuity and without compensation for the use of your appearance, voice, and name for promotional and/or advertising or any other purpose by California Film Institute and its affiliates and representatives.
Customer support agents are available to assist with any questions. During live support hours, click the purple ‘Help‘ symbol in the bottom right corner to chat with a live agent or send us a message at [email protected].
Live customer support hours are 9:00 am – 10:00 pm from May 5-16.
You can also leave a message with our support staff by calling 877.874.6833. Calls are returned within 24 hours.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CAFILM CHANNEL QUESTIONS
CAN I WATCH FILMS ON MY ROKU OR APPLE TV?
Yes you can. See the video tutorial above on how to watch via either Roku or Apple TV.
If you don’t have one already and wish to purchase one, you can buy a Roku device here or an Apple TV device here. Your Apple TV must be 4th generation or newer, and your Roku must be 3rd generation or newer.
Please note: While we recommend Roku or Apple TV as the best viewing experience, you are not required to own either to stream our films. Film can always be streamed via a web browser, if preferred.
WHEN I OPEN THE APP TO REDEEM MY TICKET, I SEE THERE’S A LOGIN FOR PASS HOLDERS. WHAT IS A PASSHOLDER?
DocLands passholders have access to all DocLands films and programs during the Festival. To learn more go to doclands.com/early-bird.
ARE THERE Q&A’S WITH FILMMAKERS IN THIS STREAMING ENVIRONMENT?
Yes. When you access a film on the CAFILM streaming channel, you’ll notice underneath most feature film descriptions, a supplemental Q&A conversation with the filmmaker(s).
WHERE DO I GET TICKETS?
Info coming soon.
WHEN CAN I WATCH MOVIES?
All DocLands streaming titles are available May 5 through May 11. If you purchased an individual film stream, you will have 48 hours from the time you press ‘Play’ to complete viewing of the film before access expires.
CAN I RENT A FILM THAT IS AVAILABLE AT A FUTURE DATE?
Yes. More information coming soon.
WHY IS A VIRTUAL SCREENING SOLD OUT?
Virtual screenings during the DocLands Documentary Film Festival have a capacity limit similar to the amount of tickets that would be available for in-theater screenings. The number of tickets we have available for purchase are negotiated with representatives from each film, as these Festival showings are often the premiere of their film or a very early showing of the film and are therefore limited before the film’s official release.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO WATCH ON MAC COMPUTERS?
Mac OSX 10.12 or later
We recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome or Safari. Other supported browsers include: Firefox and Opera.
CAN I WATCH ON MY IPHONE/IPAD?
Yes. You can watch our films on iPhone/iPad via a web browser. We recommend Google Chrome or Safari on iOS 11.2 or later. Please note that you must have “Screen Mirroring” turned off for content to play.
CAN I WATCH ON MY ANDROID DEVICE?
Yes, you can watch Festival films using Chrome on Android 6.0 or later.
CAN I AIRPLAY FROM MY IPAD/IPHONE TO MY TV?
Yes. You can AirPlay video from an iPad/iPhone to an Apple TV or select Samsung Smart TVs compatible with Airplay (check to see if there is an Airplay badge on the TV if uncertain). Follow these instructions:
- Check that the TV and device are on the same wifi network.
- Ensure Screen Mirroring is turned off from your device settings
- Open the video player on your computer or device.
- Click on AirPlay button () in the bottom right-hand side of the player.
- Select which device you’d like to watch the video on when prompted.
- If prompted to, enter code from TV into device.
CAN I CAST FROM MY IPAD/IPHONE TO MY TV USING SCREEN-MIRRORING?
No. iPad & iPhone iOS doesn’t support playback of encrypted video through screen-mirroring.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO WATCH ON WINDOWS COMPUTERS?
We recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome as your web browser. Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera are also supported. Internet Explorer is not supported.
CAN I USE CHROMECAST?
You can Chromecast from a Chrome web browser on PC and Mac computers as well as Android devices by selecting the cast button () in the bottom right-hand side of the player. Please note: Chromecast will not work from an iPad/iPhone.
I DON’T SEE THE AIRPLAY BUTTON OR THE CHROMECAST BUTTON ON MY SCREEN.
That means that there is incompatibility between the device and the TV. Try updating the web browser on the device to ensure you have the most recent version.
I’M GETTING A PLAYBACK ERROR MESSAGE WHEN I TRY TO WATCH THE MOVIE.
- Try updating your web browser.
- If updating does not work, try a different web browser. For example, if you are using apple’s safari browser, try using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.
- If switching browsers does not work, try watching on a different device. For example, if the video is not playing on your iPad, try using watching on a computer instead.
WHY DOES VIDEO PLAYBACK STALL OR NOT PLAY SMOOTHLY?
We use adaptive bitrate streaming which means the streaming quality will automatically adjust based on your internet speed. If your internet connection is poor or inconsistent you may experience problems during playback. If you’re on wifi, try moving closer to your router.
CAN I SHARE MY PASSHOLDER CREDENTIALS WITH A FRIEND/FAMILY?
No. Your account is unique to you. A friend/family member must purchase their own pass to watch on their device. If a passholder shares their account, their account will be revoked and that purchase will not be refunded. Exceptions apply only to dual memberships.
DO I USE MY CFI MEMBERSHIP ID TO WATCH FILMS?
No. The week of April 26th, DocLands passholders will be sent unique login credentials to watch all films on the CAFILM channel available on Roku and Apple TV devices or via watch.cafilm.org.
Tutorial video on how to login coming soon.
DO I NEED TO PURCHASE TICKETS TO FILMS?
No. Your DocLands pass allows access to the full catalog of Festival programs. Your login credentials to the CAFILM streaming channel will be emailed to you the week of April 26th.